The Official name of this organization shall be the American Library Association Student Chapter at Wayne State University.
The Purposes of this Organization are:
- To facilitate and encourage participation in the American Library Association (ALA).
- To increase the awareness and use of resources of the ALA, including publications, promotional materials, scholarships, conferences, organization website and various forms of social media.
- To provide Wayne State University Library and Information Science students a forum for the exchange of ideas and information about trends, issues, and opportunities in the profession.
- To develop skills and relationships that will enable students to have a creative impact on the profession.
- To promote involvement in professional activities.
- To increase awareness of the national issues in Library and Information Science.
- Currently enrolled in the School of Library and Information Science at Wayne State University.
- Member in good standing of the American Library Association.
- The Chapter shall hold a general membership meeting at the beginning of each academic term (Fall, Winter, Spring) and other meetings scheduled during the term as agreed upon by the members.
- Activities and programs will be planned in accordance with the purposes set forth in Article II.
- The officers of this organization shall consist of a President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, Webmaster and Distance Liaison.
- The Executive Board shall consist of the Officers and the Faculty Advisor as Member Ex-Officio.
- The Officers shall have the following responsibilities:
- Shall head the Executive Board and have the ultimate responsibility for the functioning of the organization and its relationship with ALA Headquarters.
- Shall convene and conduct the General Membership Meeting and have the primary responsibility for membership recruitment.
- Shall be responsible for planning and coordinating chapter activities in cooperation with the Executive Board and the general membership.
- Shall be the ALA Information Coordinator, with the primary responsibility for collecting and disseminating information received from ALA Headquarters.
- Shall provide the agenda for both Officer and General Membership Meetings no less than 3 days prior to meeting
- Shall assume the duties of the President in the latter’s absence and shall assume the office of the President should it become vacant during the stated term of office.
- Shall assist the President with the duties of the executive office.
- Shall be responsible for the planning and coordination of organization activities that relate to the ALA Midwinter Meeting and the ALA Annual Conference, and to form committees as needed.
- Shall be responsible for the relationship between Wayne State University and the Chapter.
- Shall be responsible for initiating and coordinating fund raising functions.
- Shall have primary responsibility for oversight of the organization’s finances.
- Shall have record keeping duties and shall keep minutes and records of the organization’s meetings and functions.
- Shall maintain the ALA Student Chapter file and make previous meeting’s minutes available to members.
- Provide copies of the current constitution and make new members aware of its existence.
Shall be responsible for developing and maintaining the online presence of the ALA Student Chapter via the organization’s website, social media, and other virtual means of communication that become available in the future as appropriate.
- Primary objective shall be to promote involvement of distance students in ALA @ Wayne.
- Shall assist Webmaster in development and maintenance of online presence, particularly as related to distance students.
- May organize regional meetings of distance students depending on location.
- All members of the Chapter are entitled to vote for the Officers of the organization.
- The Executive Board shall coordinate nominations of officers at the end of the Winter term.
- Elections shall take place by ballot at the final meeting of the Winter term. Judgement of adequate representation shall be at the discretion of the Faculty Advisor.
Terms of Office
- Terms for all officers shall be for one calendar year, beginning with the Fall term.
- In the event of a vacancy prior to the expiration of a term of office, the Executive Board shall name an interim officer to serve until the next election.
- Should an officer cease performing the duties of his/her office for any reason, the remaining members of the Executive Board shall meet with the officer in question about the Board’s concerns and possible replacement of the officer. If no resolution results from the aforementioned meeting, the remaining members of the Board may remove the officer in question via majority vote. Any vacancy on the Board due to removal of an officer is to be handled under the provision in item 2 regarding vacancy prior to expiration of a term of office.
Committees shall be appointed as necessary by the Executive Board.
All questions of parliamentary procedure shall be decided in accordance with the forms laid down in the most current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order.
Articles added to this Constitution may be introduced by any member at any meeting or by petition to the Executive Board. Ratification shall be determined by a majority of those present at the next General Membership Meeting of the organization.
Ratified September 14, 2011